Giving Back to our HomeLand & How PAASE can make a Difference
March 1, 2012
Dear PAASE Colleagues:
As we embark on our activities this year I would like to remind you of the relevance of PAASE in providing a venue for all of us to participate in the free exchange of ideas and goals for giving back to the Philippines. As a group, we are committed to excellence in our professions, scholarship, and volunteerism. The distinction with other professional organizations is that we are elected into an academy not only because of our past achievements but potential to contribute to society.
I express my appreciation on all the individual hard work that goes on in contributing to make our organization relevant in these times of challenge and opportunity. Your efforts do make a difference and collectively we want PAASE to make a difference.
I would like to summarize to you what the goals and activities are for this year:
1. PAASE Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas May 4-5, 2012
2. Continue advocacies to help shape science, education, and competitiveness in the Philippines
3. Conversion to a non-profit, tax exempt 501 (c) to harness our giving in tax exempt status.
4. Expansion of PAASE beyond an Academy into a professional science and engineering organization.
5. Start to reach out to graduate students and untapped Ph.D.s in industry.
I would like you to think about these things, but let us act on it. In many ways, we have been a sounding board, lobbying group, resource group, professional body, or just folks who like to express our opinions. Whether in the US, Philippines, or other countries, I know you just want to make a difference. We will make sure PAASE is such a group for you.Gobet